Saturday, March 03, 2012

The US Army Field Band

My daughter and I went to a great concert by the Volunteers section of the US Army Field Band this past Thursday evening (March 1).

The audience was heavily on the 'older' side, as my daughter duly noted by looking around and saying 'I feel Young',lol, and quite clearly made up of many veterans, such as my aunt Lynn .

The band started off with a beautifully done version of the Star Spangled Banner, and what swelled my heart was to hear so many of the audience join in singing the words. The Volunteers do a little bit of everything....soft rock, oldies (the Command Sgt. Major rocked the version of 'Hot Rod Lincoln':), and patriotic songs.

When they did the 'Salute' to each of the service branches, I realized that I actually know the words to  the songs for each branch, and was trying to remember where I learned that...Mrs. Guess' music class in 7th and 8th grade,maybe? I wonder if they still teach that in school music classes today?

The band closed with Lee Greenwood's 'Proud to be an American', and invited the audience to stand and sing along, which we did with gusto and fervor:) and the show truly did remind me how proud I am to be an American, and how thankful I am for the men and women who have served, and are serving, our country.

Click on the link for the United States Army Field Band above, and see when they'll be coming somewhere near you, and go out and see the show, I guarantee you'll have a great time!

No comments: