Tuesday, June 17, 2008

As Milblogging.com Nears a Milestone...

As Milblogging.com nears a Milestone Milblogging.com Approaches 2,000 Military Blog Milestone I decided to take a look back through the archives over there.

After all, over the years JP has gone from calling me a 'Milblogging.com fan' to referring to me as a 'Milblogging.com FANATIC' (and there was that paper served that said 'restraining order'....LOL, just kidding:)

Anyway, the idea for looking through the archives originated because I was wondering why, in his Milestone post, JP hadn't linked back to his very first entry on Milblogging.com?

I noticed on the Milblogging.com website that there was a handy link listed at the bottom of the home page that said BLOG ARCHIVES and thought to myself "oh, this will be easy."

Imagine my surprise when I clicked on the link and came to a page that said UNDER CONSTRUCTION (not sure 'surprise' is the word I want to use there.....'chagrin'? 'cursing'?'frustration'?)

So, it seemed my only solution was to scroll backwards in time, all the way back to October 31,2005,which is where I found the first entry

Hmmmm...not very auspicious, was it? Fortunately for all of us, Milblogging.com evolved....as did JP.....

From then:

Photobucket


To Now:

Photobucket

Actually, scrolling through the Milblogging.com archives all the way back to the beginning was like scrolling through the evolution of Milblogs themselves. I came across references to so many of the first milblogs which have now faded into the mists, as their writers returned to 'real life' from deployment, and ceased blogging.....and I recalled the excitement of discovering them for the first time, and avidly reading them as often as I could.

I also came across the numbers JP posted as he added milblogs to the Milblogging.com database, like Saturday,November 5,2005: A listing of 505 milblogs going on to Sunday,February 12,2006: 1,209 Milblogs in the database and Friday,September 8,2006: Tada! Here's the #1,500 military blog!

So, as you can see, it's taken awhile for Milblogging.com to get near this Milestone of 2,000 Milblogs. Currently, the site lists " 1,998 military blogs in 37 countries with 5,261 registered members " Yes,JP and Milblogging.com have come a long way, from that first posting of 505 milblogs spread over 15 countries .

JP started out with a dream of creating a database of military blogs for everyone to access......and I personally think he's done a Great job, at making that dream a reality!

So, here's to you, JP! Congratulations! on nearing this important milestone!
and Thanks! for letting all of us share in the journey, as you made that dream come true!

-----------------

Three years later,there are still many great milbogs being added to the database. If you haven't yet checked out Milblogging.com ......what are you waiting for? Go HERE


(crossposted from my ' real blog ', which I started with JP's encouragement back in March 2006)

No comments: