Friday, June 04, 2010

More about Staff Sergeant John W."Bill" Daley

I remember as a Very small child(3 or 4 years old?) noticing a picture of a very handsome young man in a military uniform at Grandma Daley's house, and when I asked who was in the picture? I was told that that was Dad's " older brother Bill, who was killed in WW II in the  Battle of the Bulge ".

And that picture has stayed in my mind over the years, an old sepia toned picture ....so much so, that when I first saw Band of Brothers and the episodes about that battle, I began to cry, thinking of my Dad's brother.

I found out where my Dad's brother is buried, on the

John W. Daley
Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army
Service # 35463480
346th Infantry Regiment, 87th Infantry Division
Entered the Service from: Ohio
Died: 6-Jan-45
Buried at: Plot F Row 7 Grave 25
Luxembourg American Cemetery
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Awards: Purple Heart

and this link tells you more about
Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial

This has been bittersweet, to find out more about another link that our family has back to World War II military service, and a little more about someone in our family who gave their life in service to our country.








3 comments:

Tracy said...

Beautiful post, Kathi. I am sure that dad appreciates this, too.

Mike Frerichs said...

This is a very good and inspiring story of one family's loss. Memorial Day's meaning is too often lost. Here's a photo on my blog of our family's remembrance of my own father, a WW II vet. http://eyukonquest.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Mike, thanks so much for sharing the link, and also for your kind words.