Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Free Mail"!..and" it's a small world after all"..

So, I got home from work yesterday and had the unexpected surprise of a piece of 'free mail' waiting for me:)
('Free mail', for those of you who don't know, is how we troop supporters refer to the letters we receive back from someone who is deployed....it's free for them to mail a letter to us from a war zone.)

In the 'life is too cool' and 'it's a small world' departments , it turned out that the soldier I had sent the letter to had all kinds of family and personal ties to the region where I live... as she put it:

"I thought you might find this amazing that we have this in common. Who would have thought that 7,000 miles away, we were close by?"......and she ended  with .."it was good to hear from someone close to home!"

She was writing back to say how much my letter had brightened her day....and it certainly brightened my whole evening, (after a tough day at work,too! )to have received this unexpected and heartwarming 'thank you' from a deployed soldier....and all because I had taken a few moments to send a letter of support and appreciation to a stranger serving our country, to tell someone I'd never met that 'you and those serving with you are not forgotten, by those of us back here at home"

You know where I'm going with this, don't you? :) 

You can send your Own letter of support to someone...(.there's no guarantee you'll get 'free mail' in return, remember, you're writing to someone in a war zone, who's kind of busy!).....but if you want to brighten a stranger's day and support the troops?...there are several ways you can do this.

If you are already a member of Soldiers Angels? you can check out the Letter Writing Team

or, if you just want to go by Anysoldier.com , that's another great way to support those serving with just a simple letter or note.

Think about it, won't you?




1 comment:

Paxford said...

What a lovely thing to come home to :)

Pax
[Downunder]