Monday, February 28, 2011

Rest in Peace, Frank Buckles

Via the  Army Times  and the  Washington Post,
two very good articles about the passing yesterday of the last surviving World War I US veteran
Frank Buckles

You can also see more about Frank Buckles at Pershing's Last Patriot

Rest in Peace,Sir.

Our condolences to his family and friends.
-----------------------------

and so we lose one of the last few links to the war referred to as 'The Great War'

In the last few years before his death, Frank Buckles called for "the restoration and re-dedication of the D.C. WW I memorial as a National and District of Columbia WW I memorial" as you can see here on
The World War I Memorial Foundation website

My husband and I had accidentally stumbled across the DC memorial while on a visit to the National Mall in 2007


and when I blogged about it at the time, the condition of the memorial reduced me to tears, and I asked:
..."if we allow the memorials to those who have fallen in a war to become dilapidated and in need of repairs, are we not dishonoring the memory of those who served and gave their all? "

---------------------------------
There are several ways you can remember Frank Buckle's extraordinary life, and pay tribute to his memory.....the family has requested that contributions be made in his honor to Survivor Quest , the non profit which is behind the documentary about Frank's life

and might I also suggest that you consider contacting your Senators and Congress members, to let them know you support the Frank Buckles World War I Memorial Act legislation, to rededicate the District of Columbia WW I memorial to include the wording "National World War I Memorial" , to honor all those like Mr. Buckles, who served in that 'war to end all wars'.



3 comments:

Mike Golch said...

I sent this info to Christopher Lee for a Wednesday hero posting.and Put a linkback to you on Mike's Place.

ADB said...

I can only echo your words, Kathy: Rest in peace, Frank

Unknown said...

Mike,Thank you so much!