Saturday, December 13, 2008

Arlington Wreath Project 2008-Part One

We got up at 4:30 am to head up to Arlington National Cemetery, for the Arlington part of Wreaths Across America,
and were flabbergasted when we got there that there was so Much traffic that it took us a half hour just to get In to Arlington Cemetery. We had No idea that so Many people would show up.I kept saying over and over "This is just....Amazing."

It was a sunny but Cold day, and the wind was blowing. I haven't seen any numbers of crowd estimates, would be interested to know how many folks were there.

We took a great many pictures, so I've broken the pictures up into two slide shows, the first one is here


and I hope it gives you some idea of both the crowd, and also how the gravesites looked before people started laying their wreaths.

When we laid the wreaths, they asked that you read the name, and years of service and date of death, and also paused a moment to honor the person whose grave you were laying the wreath on.

This was such a moving project to be a part of.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Report on activities at Arlington today!

I linked to all three of your segments from my roundup of Wreaths across America at:

http://nygoe.wordpress.com/2008/12/13/aar-wreaths-ac…ca-farmingdaleaar-wreaths-across-america-farmingdale/

Thanks for participating

Dan Maloney
NY State Coordinator
Gathering of Eagles

Unknown said...

Thank you,Dan, you did a wonderful job on your round-up!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kathi

It's an ongoing process. I keep finding and adding links as they become available.

A lot of Americans worked hard on this and it is worth recording as many of their efforts as possible.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Kathi!

Thank YOU!!

Threehourtour said...

WOW! What an awesome and I'm sure humbling experience to be a part of! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathi,

What a beautiful visual you have shared. THANK YOU !!

From Dan Maloney's comment, I
snagged this link to Worcester
Wreaths. The folks who started it all for wreaths at Arlington.

http://tinyurl.com/WorcesterWreath

I am just speechless, your slide show really made me feel like I was standing right beside you.

May God be with the families and friends of all our Military Fallen.

xo xo
Deb Estep
Proud Air Force Mom - SSgt Vince
Proud Air Force MIL - SrA Dana

jersey bobbi sue said...

Great job Kathi its breath taking.
My husband is a ride captain for NJ Patriot Guard. He was part of the caravan from Maine to Arlington. I was wondering if you had any photos of him laying a wreath at the grave of Jackie Kennedy?
jerseybobbisue@verizon.net

Unknown said...

jersey bobbi sue, I sent you an email...sadly, we don't have pictures from that, but I'll keep my eyes open in the pictures folks are posting:)